Construction Projects and Capital Improvement Plan
Please click on this link for a map of various construction projects:. 2023 Construction Project Map
Please click on this link for the current Capital Improvement Plan.
Village Construction Project Updates
2023 Street Program
- Oriole Avenue from Howard Street to Oakton Street
- Mulford Street from Oleander Avenue to Milwaukee Avenue
- Nordica Avenue from Harvard Street to Oakton Street
- Birchwood Avenue from Waukegan Road to Nordica Avenue
- Rusch Drive from Newark Avenue to end
- Niles Avenue from Harlem Avenue to Shermer Road
- New England Avenue from Oakton Street to north end
- Keeney Street from Waukegan Road to Caldwell Avenue
- Newland Avenue from Cleveland Street to Madison Street
- Newcastle Street from Cleveland Street to Madison Street
- Madison Street from Waukegan Road to Caldwell Avenue
- Kedzie Street from Neva Avenue to Shermer Road
- Madison Street from Neva Avenue to Shermer Road
- Neva Avenue from Cleveland Street to Kedzie Street
- Peter Terrace from west end to Cumberland Avenue
- Grace Avenue from Ballard Road to Davis Street
The intersection at Touhy and Gross point has a skew angle and the lack of left turn lanes that make the intersection unsafe. In addition there is a lack of coherent pedestrian route on Touhy from Gross Point Road to Caldwell Avenue. Multiple residents have requested pedestrian connections through this area. The plans have been reviewed in public meetings. The proposed work is an intersection improvement at Touhy and Gross Point Road. The proposed project will increase bicycle safety with off street multimodal trail, will increase roadway safety with left turn lanes and lighting and will increase pedestrian safety by completing infill on Touhy Ave. The improvement includes a multimodal trail, roadway widening, left turn lanes, and lighting. The work will also consist of sidewalk removal and replacement, curb & gutter and traffic signals. The project was bid in March 2023. Construction is scheduled to begin in late summer 2023 and is scheduled to be completed in early 2024.
The Milwaukee Corridor committee selected decorative thermoplastic crosswalks for the replacement of the poor performing brick paver crosswalks. The cross walks have been replaced incrementally on an annual basis. The existing brick paver cross walks are in poor condition and need to be replaced. The project aims to improve the aesthetics of the Village as well as remove the settling and deteriorating brick pavers. The scope will consist of brick crosswalk removal, patching, milling and resurfacing, and decorative thermoplastic crosswalk pavement markings. The contract for the Milwaukee Brick Crosswalk Replacement is planned to be bid in February 2023 and awarded in February. C and end in early fall 2023.
Construction Update Week of November 28, 2022
- Progress Made the Past Week: Install permanent signs.Work is significantly complete and and working on punch list and final restoration.
- Anticipated construction for the next week: Work is significantly complete and and working on punch list and final restoration. Corten wall mockups.
- Current road closures and detours: Daily lane closures on Church as needed.
- New road closures or detours expected for the following week:Daily lane closures on Church as needed.
- Road closures that are ending: N/A
Milwaukee Avenue and Waukegan Road Street Lighting Replacement
New street light poles and fixtures are being installed on Milwaukee Avenue from Albion Avenue to Greenwood Avenue, and on Waukegan Road from Milwaukee Avenue to Main Street.
Final pole installations and punch list items are underway and will continue throughout the summer. Weather permitting, the project is scheduled for a October, 2022 completion. This project installed a total of 370 light poles and 76,000 linear feet of fiber optic conduit.
IDOT Construction Project Updates
Touhy Avenue Bridge over North Branch River Project IDOT is planning to begin replacement of the Touhy Avenue Bridge. The project is in the final design phase and is planned to be bid in the spring of 2024. This project will follow the Gross Point Touhy Improvement Project. Updates will be provided as they become available.