In order to obtain a building permit, the following requirements shall be complied with:
- Submit required sets of construction drawings and specs to the Village of Niles. Each sheet shall be sealed (reproducible) by a registered architect / engineer or the plans that are bounded and indexed shall be stamped and sealed on the index sheet.
- Permit applicants should not include payment with their initial submittal. Plan review comments will be made by staff.
- Completed building, electrical, and plumbing permit applications, along with a copy of electrician's registration and plumber's and roofer's state registration.
- $40 contractor registration fee is required. (Permit bonds are no longer required effective 8/1/2018)
The Village of Niles has adopted international, state, and local codes, which relate to all construction and property within the Village. The summary of the codes is as follows:
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Energy Code - State Requirement
Illinois moves to 2018 IECC
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- Niles Mechanical Code Chapter 18
- 2014 State Plumbing Code
- Niles Plumbing Code Chapter 18
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- Niles Electrical Code Chapter 18
- 2018 International Fire Code
- NFPA National Fire Codes, Current Edition
- Niles Fire Prevention Code Chapter 46
- 2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
Specific questions or interpretations related to any of these codes or village ordinances can be directed to the Community Development Department.