When buying and/or selling a car, be sure to keep the following in mind:
- Be cautious of the low priced bargain car.
- Beware of fast sell pressures.
- Check the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see if it has been altered.
- Be suspicious of fresh paint on a car.
- Verify that the inspection sticker and the license tag are current and are from the same state.
- Do not accept duplicate car keys.
- Complete all paper work at the time of the sale.
- If you are selling a car, never allow a person to test drive the vehicle alone.
- Ask to see an interested buyer's drivers license, and write down the name, address, driver's license number, etc.
- Make certain the driver's door contains a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Label. This label is often called a mylar sticker, and it contains the Vehicle Identification Number. Presence of the label is required by law.