Niles Historical Society (and The Historical & Cultural Center)
About the Historical Center
On March 25, 1985 the existing showcases were moved from the hallway at the Trident Center, formerly located at 8060 Oakton Street, to the new Historical Society at 8970 Milwaukee Avenue. The Grand opening and dedication of the museum was on October 25, 1986: it featured a Chuck Wagon Festival. The event was sparked off with the presence of the village dignitaries, guests, and members of the Niles V.F.W. Memorial Post 7712. At the dedication, the Museum was presented with its first flag. The new facility far exceeds the original location. The Historical Center has three floors for exhibiting artifacts, and an Auditorium for Programs, Guest Speakers, and Art Exhibits. The space can be rented for any outside event for a fee.
Our New StaffOur part-time staff is happy to assist with guided tours, research projects, private meeting room reservations in our "Auditorium" and any other questions you have regarding our museum or the history of Niles.
Barbara Karawacki, Museum Coordinator
Bianca Mariottini, Museum Curator
We had many areas of the museum addressed:
- Construction of a new elevator for access to all floors for those who need assistance and for moving of heavy artifacts.
- Making the entrance-way to our facility easier for those who may need assistance by installing a new door, concrete ramp, and handrails.
- Added ramps to replace steps in certain areas of the building to make them more handicapped accessible.
- installing new carpeting on the first floor and refinishing the upper floors.
- Rehabbing the first floor washroom to make it accessible for seniors, wheelchairs, and disabled individuals.
- Adding a water purification system for drinking.
- Major improvements to the general well-being of the building.
Our grand re-opening was on April 25, 2010.
• At the Niles-Maine Library District: https://www.nileslibrary.org/event/niles-historical-society
Our Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clubs and Organizations
TheNiles Historical Society has a medium-sized Auditorium (50-65 people) that is available for use by clubs and organizations. You do not have to live in Niles to use our facility. There is a fee for one time use and the fee becomes cheaper for multiple bookings. If you are looking for a venue to host your meetings, please consider us and call (847) 390-0160.
Historical Society Memberships
Here is a list of the types of membership and costs:
- Business 2 - $400 (annual membership; includes advertising in Newsletter. Contact us)
- Business 1 - $75 (annual membership; includes advertising in Newsletter. Contact us)
- Benefactor - $1,000.00 (one time donation)
- Individual Life Member - $200 (one time donation)
- Patron - $60, annual membership
- Institutional - $40, annual membership
- Family - $25, annual membership
- Contributor - $25, annual membership
- Individual - $15, annual membership
- Individual Senior Citizen - $10, annual membership for seniors aged 55 and older
- Student - $5, annual membership
Contact: (847) 390-0160, ask for Membership Chairperson