Cook County Class 7c
The Class 7c classification is designed to encourage commercial development throughout Cook County by offering a real estate incentive for the development of new commercial facilities, the rehabilitation of existing commercial structures, and the commercial reutilization of abandoned buildings.
The goal of Class 7c is to attract new business, stimulate expansion and retention of existing business and increase employment opportunities.
How It Works
- Under the incentive provided by Class 7c, qualifying commercial real estate would be eligible for a reduced assessment from the date that new construction or substantial rehabilitation is completed and initially assessed or, in the case of abandoned property from the date of substantial re-occupancy.
- Properties receiving Class 7c will be assessed at 10% of market value for the first 3 years, 15% in the 4th year and 20% in the 5th year. This constitutes a substantial reduction in the level of assessment and results in significant tax savings. In the absence of this incentive, industrial real estate would normally be assessed at 25% of its market value.
real estate used primarily for commercial purposes", which is defined as:
"Any real estate used primarily for buying and selling of goods and services, or for otherwise providing goods and services, including any real estate used for hotel and motel purposes."
New construction, substantial rehabilitation or reutilization of abandoned buildings
Location anywhere in Cook County
Assessment levels reduced from the commercial rate of 25% for 5 years:
- 10% for 3 years
- 15% in Year 4
- 20% in Year 5
- Return to 25% in Year 6
- Application to the Assessor and municipal resolution must be filed before construction of new buildings, or the substantial rehabilitation or reoccupancy of existing buildings begins.
- Municipal resolution in support of application is required.
- Download the Procedures and Application (PDF) for the Village of Niles Consideration of Cook County Real Estate Classification 7c.
- Questions regarding Class 7c may be directed to the Development Incentives Department of the Office of the Cook County Assessorby calling 312-443-7550.
- For questions regarding the Village of Niles Class 7c application process, please email the Department of Economic Development or call 847-588-8074.