Plant a FREE Tree
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) will begin distributing free saplings to residents of Cook County at six water reclamation plants every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Water Reclamation Plant (WRP) addresses:
• Calumet WRP, 400 E. 130th St., Chicago, IL
• Egan WRP, 550 S. Meacham Rd., Schaumburg, IL
• Hanover Park WRP, 1220 Sycamore Ave., Hanover Pak, IL
• Kirie WRP, 701 Oakton St., Des Plaines, IL
• O'Brien WRP, 3500 Howard St., Skokie, IL
• Stickney WRP, 6001 W. Pershing Rd., Cicero, IL
The MWRD's new program is called "Restore the Canopy, Plant a Tree." Trees are an important part of Chicago's ecosystem. They provide rain absorption and a canopy that reduces city heat island effects. They also absorb carbon gasses and produce oxygen.
The saplings will be individually potted. Planting and care instructions, along with additional information regarding the benefits of trees, will be provided. Photos can be posted on Facebook or Twitter.
For more information, please contact the MWRD Office of Public Affairs at email@example.com or by calling (312) 751-6633.