Niles Fire Department
8360 Dempster St.Niles, IL 60714
Phone 847-588-6800Fax 847-588-6850
October 17, 2006
Dear Village of Niles Resident, Landlord or Tenant:
The purpose of this letter is to advise you of two important safety issues: the Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act and the recommended replacement schedule for existing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Illinois Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act
The Illinois General Assembly has passed, and the Governor has signed, the Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act (Public Act 094-0741). This new law requires homeowners and landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors in all buildings containing bedrooms and sleeping facilities. Effective January 1, 2007, every dwelling unit will be required to have at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm in an operating condition within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. For more detailed specifics regarding the Act, please refer to the attached summary of the Act.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector ReplacementThe National Fire Protection Association states that in apartments and one and two family dwellings smoke detectors shall be replaced when they fail to respond to tests, but shall not remain in service longer than ten years after the date of installation. Additionally, most smoke detector manufacturers now indicate a maximum service lifetime of ten years for their product.
The recommended replacement schedule for carbon monoxide detectors varies, depending on the particular detector, from every three years to every ten. Therefore, it is very important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for replacement.
If you have any questions, feel free to call 847-588-8036 and leave your name, telephone number, and the nature of your question(s). You will then receive a return telephone call from a Village of Niles employee in response.
As always, your safety is of utmost concern to me. Having smoke and carbon monoxide detectors that are properly maintained help protect you.
Barry L. Mueller, Fire Chief
Illinois Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act (Summary)
Effective January 1, 2007, every dwelling unit will be required to have at least one approved carbon monoxide alarm in an operating condition within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes. Alarms can be battery powered, plug-in with battery back-up or wired into the AC power line with a secondary battery back-up. The alarm can be combined with smoke detecting devices if the combined unit complies with specific standards and the alarm differentiates the hazard.
The Illinois General Assembly has passed and the Governor has signed the Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector Act (Public Act 094-0741). This new law, effective January 1, 2007, requires homeowners and landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors in all buildings containing bedrooms and sleeping facilities.
The primary features of the law are:
- Every "dwelling unit" must be equipped with at least one operable carbon monoxide alarm within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping purposes.
- The alarm may be combined with smoke detecting devices provided the unit complies with respective standards and the alarm differentiates the hazard.
- A "dwelling unit" means a room or suite of rooms used for human habitation, and includes single family residences, multiple family residences and mixed use buildings.
- If a structure contains more than one "dwelling unit" an alarm must be installed within 15 feet of every sleeping room in each "dwelling unit".
- The owner must supply and install all required alarms. A landlord must ensure that the alarms are operable on the date of initiation of a lease. The tenant is responsible for testing and maintaining the alarm after the lease commences.
- A landlord is required to furnish one tenant per dwelling unit with written information regarding alarm testing and maintenance.
- Willful failure to install or maintain in operating condition any alarm is a Class B criminal misdemeanor.
- The Act does exempt certain residential units from the requirement. Those residential ;units in a building that (i) does not rely on combustion of fossil fuel for heat, ventilation or hot water; (ii) is not connected to a garage; and (iii) is not sufficiently close to any ventilated source of carbon monoxide to receive carbon monoxide from that source or a residential unit that is not sufficiently close to any source of carbon monoxide so as to be at risk of receiving carbon monoxide from that source, as determined by the local building commissioner, shall not require carbon monoxide detectors.
For more information about Carbon Monoxide, check out these links: