Please find below information on events and activities taking place at or with the Niles Teen Center in the next couple of weeks.
1) Spring Programming- Newsletters and Calendars
The Spring Newsletter and Calendars are NOW AVAILABLE! !! See the Attachments.
Take a Look at all of our great spring programs and activities.
2) Spring Meeting and Pizza- Tuesday, March 10- 5:30 pm
We will have a brief meeting to discuss the spring programs and activities, then enjoy some pizza and soda.
3) Quarterly Mailing and Membership Renewals
Last week, everyone should have received a letter from Mark in the mail with the newsletter and calendars. Many of you also received membership renewal forms. If you are expired or expiring soon, please sign and return the forms with proper payment so that you (or your teen) can continue to participate in our programs.
4) Mark will be out of the office all day on Friday, March 13 for a Village of Niles- department head staff retreat. Halley, Nate and Larry will be supervising the Teen Center in his absence.
5) “Girl Talk” Continues on Wednesday, March 18- 4:30-5:30 pm
Please turn in the “consent form” to participate.
Girls, join Natalie and Ally in the computer room every other Wednesday from 4:30-5:30 to have girl talk. This group is open to all girls who want to discuss topics like girl drama, self-esteem, or other issues that you might find interesting. Please make sure to turn in the “consent form”.
6) Teen Speaker Series- Thursday, March 19- Sexting- 5:30-6:30 pm
Sgt. Tornabene from the Niles Police Department will offer a presentation about SEXTING including the dangers and consequences. Sexting is the sending of sexually explicit photographs or messages via cell phone. This action is becoming more prevalent and harmful to others. It is an important topic for us to discuss.
7) Teen In House Movie Night- Friday, March 20 - 7:00- 9:30 pm- $3 each
Come to the Teen Center for Teen Movie Nights. Stop by or call to recommend a teen movie. All movies will be PG or PG-13. Bring a pillow or blanket and make yourself at home. All teens will be provided 1 can of soda, 2 bags of chips, and unlimited popcorn. Additional snacks and drinks will be available for purchase. Fee goes toward additional supervision. No sign-up prior to event is necessary.
Movies choices are …
1) Dracula Untold- (PG-13/92 min)- Blending elements of history and vampire mythology, this new look at the life of the legendary Dracula explores his origin, from his first foray into darkness to his ultimate evolution as a bloodsucking fiend.
2) Ouija- (PG-13/ 89 min)- While entertaining themselves with an old-fashioned Ouija board, several young friends unintentionally conjure up a sinister ancient spirit. With their lives at stake, the terrified teens must find a way to escape from their nightmarish situation.
3) Dumb and Dumber Too (PG-13/ 109 min)- Resurrecting their roles as slow-witted pals Harry and Lloyd, Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey prove the duo has learned little in 20 years. With Harry in need of a kidney, they set off to find the long-lost child he only recently discovered he'd sired.
8) Craft with Lindsey- Thursday, March 26- 4:30-6:00 pm
Polaroid Photo Shoot
Come help Lindsey make a decorative piece to hang in the teen center and have fun with instant Polaroid’s
9) Scholarship opportunity for 8th graders & high school seniors through Niles Chamber of Commerce- Dollars for Scholars
Deadline Tuesday, March 31
All Application information is now available online at www.nileschamber.dollarsforscholars.org.
Did you know that you are likely to be eligible for a scholarship!!!
The Niles Chamber Dollars for Scholars Charter is an all-volunteer committee dedicated to our youth. This 2014-15 academic year, three $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduating eighth grade students entering high school and three $3,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school seniors. Applications are judged on service to the community and school, response to an essay, awards and honors, school transcripts, and letters of recommendation
All students must complete a Student Profile, this is where they will complete the activities section, transcript section and essay question.
Past recipients have been from local schools such as: St. John Brebeuf, Gemini Junior High, Clarence E. Culver School, St. Juliana, Maine West High School, Niles North High School, Niles West High School, Notre Dame High School, St. Mary of the Woods, Resurrection High School, Maine East High School and Loyola Academy.
10) National Day Calendar.
As a Christmas Gift, Mark received a National Day Calendar from his brother-in-law who is a rather unconventional thinker. This calendar does not list the any national, local or state holidays. But instead it is a calendar of fun and random holidays like “Hug a Plumber Day” and “Ice Cream Day”. In the spirit of fun, Mark will be providing these “holidays” each week as random and fun facts for teens and parents to enjoy and potentially use in their social media posts.
Mon. March 9- Get Over It Day/ Napping Day
Tues. March 10- Pack Your Lunch Day
Wed. March 11- Worship of Tools Day
Thurs. March 12- Girl Scout Day/ Plant a Flower Day
Fri. March 13- Good Samaritan Day/ Open an Umbrella Indoors Day
Sat. March 14- PI Day/ Potato Chip Day
Sun. March 15- Shoe the World Day/ Everything you Think is Wrong Day
Mon. March 16- Freedom of Information Day/ Everything you Do is Right Day
11) We are on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and GOOGLE+!!!
Please “like” the Niles Teen Center on Facebook to get program updates and see photos and video.
Also, you can follow us on Instagram @TheNilesTeenCenter- http://instagram.com/thenilesteencenter
12) Removal- If you want to be removed from this distribution list, please reply with the word “remove”, the teen center member’s name, and the email address to be removed.
Niles Teen Center Director
Niles Teen Center
373 Golf Mill Center
Niles, IL 60714