A new scam has recently appear. Here it is...
The Potential Victim is contacted via telephone and told that they have won a prize, such as a large cash sum, vehicle, or some other high value item. The caller then instructs the potential victim to go to a local retailer and purchase a Green Dot Card. The scammer also asks the caller to preload a large sum of money onto the card, in some cases $1000.00. The victim is then instructed to call the scam artist back and provide them with the ID number of the Green Dot Card. Once that occurs the scam artist can withdraw the funds from anywhere in the world. Don't fall victim to the Green Dot Card Scam or any other Pre-Paid Card Scam.
Here are some simple tips to protect yourself:
- If you receive a call saying you won something hang up. If you don't participate in the scam you will not lose any money.
- If you believe you might have been a victim of a scam, please call the Police Department at 847-588-6500.
- Remember, if you have not entered any contests you can not be a winner! If it sounds to good to be true it is!
For further information on other types of fraud scams check out our Crime Prevention page
Here are some tips provided by Moneypak, the providers of the Green Dot Card. Seven Tips on How to Protect Yourself from Fraud:
- Never give your MoneyPak number to someone you don't know.
- Never give receipt information about your MoneyPak purchase to another party.
- Use your MoneyPak only to reload your prepaid cards or accounts you control.
- Refuse any offer that asks you to buy a MoneyPak and share the number or receipt information by email or phone.
- To use your MoneyPak with PayPal or eBay or other online merchants, transfer the money to your PayPal account before you pay the merchant. Don't email your MoneyPak number directly to any merchant.
- Don't use the MoneyPak to pay taxes or fees to claim "winnings" on a foreign lottery or prize promotion. Unless it's an approved MoneyPak partner, don't use MoneyPak for any offer that requires you to pay before you get the item.
- Check this list of approved MoneyPak partners before you use your MoneyPak to pay