What if my power goes out, who should I call?
ComEd is still responsible for the distribution and flow of electricity to all homes and businesses in Niles. Outages should be reported to 1-800-EDISON-1, via the ComEd mobile app, or via text message by texting “OUT” to 26633.

Show All Answers

1. What happens after June 2015 to the price per kilowatt hour?
2. In the IDT Energy program, are there any automatic price increases?
3. I still would like to opt-out of the program, what should I do?
4. What is municipal electrical aggregation?
5. Who is eligible to participate in the program?
6. What if I have already switched to another electrical supply provider?
7. Will there be a green option available for customers to select?
8. Can residents and businesses choose not to participate?
9. Will there be any change in the electrical service provided to my home or small business?
10. What if my power goes out, who should I call?